Simon and Colin are back this week to talk about the latest and greatest news in blockchain, including: Libra fallout continues, Polkadot and tethery’licious volume!
First up, we take a look at how central banks plan to create digital currencies, and it recieves backing! Augustin Castens, The GM of the Bank of International Settlements, has said that Global central banks may have to issue their own digital currencies sooner than expected! When asked about Libra, Castens said “The issue is how will the currency be used? Will there to be a discovery of information or data that can be used in credit provision and how will data privacy be protected?”. A couple of months ago, the conversation was more around how you don’t need central bank digital currencies, has libra changed the tone of the conversation? (01:13)
Next we talk about the 5 Reasons why Facebook’s new cryptocurrency ‘Libra’ is bad news for Africa! The reasons stated are as following:
- Libra Coin is Digital Colonization by Proxy
- Libra Coin Is a Threat to African Central Bank and Monetary Policy
- Libracoin is Threat to African Sovereignty and the African People
- Africa Will Give Up Control Over It’s Digital Economy to Libra coin and Facebook
- Big Brother Africa
Colin argues that one big caveat in this article is that Africa is not one big country, and a lot of statements in this article are rather generalising. Simon argues that this article is written looking through a very dystopian lens. Could Libra be considered dystopian? (08:44)
Other stories include:
- UK crypto scene set for boost as London firm poised for FCA approval (14:11)
- Globacap Launches FCA-Regulated Digital Security Offering Platform (18:07)
- Ethereum Co-Founder’s Polkadot Closes Token Sale, Claims $1.2 Billion Valuation (23:33)
- Wha-Tether could be going on with the bitcoin price? (30:27)
We also have another brilliant interview for you, this week from Brian Behlendorf, Executive Director of the Hyperledger Project!
We also have a great Tweet of the Week from @APompliano, about all the exciting things that’s happened in crypto this week.
All this and so much more on this week’s episode of Blockchain Insider. And why not send us your best tweets? See if you can get a shout out on the show!
We hope you enjoy the show and, as ever, don’t forget to subscribe!
Want to join the conversation on all the topics discussed? Tweet the show @bchaininsider and if you really love the show, please leave us a review on iTunes.
This week’s episode of Blockchain Insider was produced by Laura Watkins and Petrit Berisha. Edited by Alex Woodhouse.